April 8, 2012

101 Reykjavik

I wanted to watch an Icelandic movie in order to learn something about the culture of this country. I hadn't heard much of their cinema before I decided to watch something, so it was a completely random choice, but I can't say it was a good one.
Not that it is a bad movie. It's not a masterpiece, but not a failure either. It's just an average Scandinavian movie, showing all there is to know about the society and its hidden problems. I would say it's too gloomy though. The film is said to be a comedy, but I didn't find anything to laugh at.
It seems that there is nothing but windy evenings and night bars in Reykjavik, and I hope that's not true. The main character is an ordinary jobless man living with his mother. He strives for nothing, and at the same time he complains about boring and meaningless life. He can't even commit a suicide, it's too much for him to do that.
The other theme of the movie is sex in any possible form. Other viewers praise the brilliance of the plot, but I don't see anything great in the story of a man having sex with his mother's lesbian lover and impregnanting her. It may be a way to attract attention to the real problems of the society, but it seems to be some sort of delirium nevertheless. As if people were so shallow that nothing else could be of any interest to them.
There were some good moments in the movie, but the overall impression is rather dreary. If life in Iceland is really like that, I wouldn't like to visit this country. I can only hope that watching this film was the same as watching a Russian movie, where everybody is an alcoholic with no future. The only difference is that we wouldn't call that a comedy.

2 comments:

  1. I think the movie is a satire. The book's author, Hallgrímur Helgason, is a noted social critic and playwright. I've spent some time in 101 and I think it did reflect a certain scene in Rekjavík in the mid-90s. Some Icelanders I spoke with were mortified by it. The city actually isn't dreary at all, it has a vital cultural scene. If you ever get the chance, attend The Iceland Airwaves Festival at the end of October. It is a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the case is that this movie wasn't the best choice to get acquainted with the Icelandic cinema =)
      I just wasn't ready for that. I hope I can soon judge this city from my own experience, and I have good expectations! And I'm planning to visit some musical event, of course

      Delete