April 27, 2012

Noi the Albino (Nói albinói)

Finally I've watched it, and I liked the movie a lot. "Noi the Albino", filmed by Dagur Kári in 2003,  seemed very nice to me, and it contains a great number of interesting, original scenes that attract the viewer's attention.
It gave birth to many thoughts in my head, and I think it's one of the main tasks for a good movie. Some concerned the everyday life of people in Iceland. For example, I wonder if the scene of a cooking lesson in French was fictitious or not.
The other thing I'd like to mention is that the idea of a small remote village in Russia and in Iceland differs a lot. Actually, I wouldn't have called what I saw on the screen a village at all.


Touching the delights of this motion picture, I loved the way the color was used. It's mostly blue and green, nearly monochrome, and only the red color stands out of the whole bulk. These red accents are very important and help to feel Noi's interpretation of the world, they mark out the things that are of some significance for him. At the same time this color can be regarded as a sign of upcoming death, especially in the scene with blood (a tremendous one, by the way). But in this particular scene it can also express the flow of feelings, restrained by Noi. This versatility of explanations is also an advantage of the movie in my opinion together with the abundance of curious details such as the palm trees on the wallpapers or the song about a boy from Chicago. I love it when the movie is a bit like a puzzle.
Equally with the movie on the whole, I liked many particular episodes. They can be interesting both separately and in the context of the plot. One of such episodes is when Noi's grandmother does gymnastics - the way she moves is very queer and incomprehensible. Her speech is also strange, and this makes her no less contrarian than her grandson is.
The other wierd scene is with the attempted robbery. One reason of it's seeming so odd to me is that I live in a megapolis where they would call the police immediately in a similar situation, and I just can't imagine how things are in a small village where everybody knows each other. On the other hand, it shows the impossibility to change anything. Noi makes lots of efforts to escape from the vicious circle, but it comes to nothing. Even Iris refuses to accompany him in this flight to the distant lands.
This lack of understanding leads to an unexpected result. Death was foretold to Noi, and it really seemed to be around, but the avalanche turned the state of things upside down. Noi's recess suddenly turned into a saving shelter. Honestly, I thought he wouldn't be discovered, and it could be a good ending for the movie, but what actually happened was even more impressive. Noi finally remains alone, but the question is if it's what he really wanted.
The last thing I want to mention is music. I think it's great when a director can write music himself, because it's the best way to get exactly what he wants. And in this movie music is really touching, or I'd better say chilling to the bone.

2 comments:

  1. I think you might enjoy the Icelandic film The Seagull's Laughter (Mávahlátur, 2001). It concerns a group of women whose lives are changed by the return of a daughter who had been a war bride in the U.S.. It is also a coming of age film with a fantastic performance by the 12 year old Ugla Egilsdóttir. I've posted more about Icelandic film on my site if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a tip! This will be a good addition to my watch list. And I'll check out your site as well.
      Unfortunately I haven't had enough time for the movies recently, but I hope soon I can return to watching them and share my impressions.

      Delete