April 20, 2012

Two birds (Smáfuglar)

While I don't have enough free time to watch a full-length film, I try to content myself with short ones.
The movie "Smafuglar" was shot in Iceland in 2008 by Rúnar Rúnarsson and won lots of awards.
At first I didn't like it. Was it longer, I might even have switched it off after the outset of the plot. But I knew it would last only 15 minutes, so I kept watching.
The main theme is sex, as well as in "101 Reykjavik", and it seems to me that there are many more icelandic movies concerning it. The characters in "Two birds" are much younger, I'd call them kids. This makes it harder to watch the film.
But the upshot is so great, that every thing that caused any aversion just fades away in its radiance. It turnes the movie into a story of love and self-sacrifice, where a young boy has to make a mature decision. And I think the boy who played the main role did it great.
Surely the movie is oppressive. But you don't lose faith in people after watching it. At least in some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment